United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) invites applications for candidates for the post of State Family Planning Consultant in Patna, Bihar on a contract basis, interested candidates may go through the details given below.
1. POSITION(S) VACANT: State Family Planning Consultant-State Health Society, UNFPA, Bihar
2. ORGANIZATION BACKGROUND:
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), formerly the United Nations Fund for Population Activities, is a UN organization working for reproductive rights for all and supports access to a wide range of sexual and reproductive health services including voluntary family planning, maternal health care, and comprehensive sexuality education.
UNFPA is providing technical support to the State Health Society Bihar to plan and implement integrated sexual and reproductive health programs in the state. State Health Society Bihar is the part of State Health department and is the nodal agency for implementing the National Health Mission Program. State Health Society Bihar (SHSB) in collaboration with district health societies (DHS) and development partners plans and execute the RMNCH+A and national disease control programs in the state. SHSB’s key role is to provide strategic guidance and direction to the districts, develop technical guidelines, policies, and programs and monitor the implementation. SHSB also ensures quality assurance in collaboration with UN agencies and other development partners.
Achieving zero preventable maternal deaths and zero unmet need for family planning are two of three transformative goals of UNFPA’s Strategic Plan. Realizing the reduction of maternal mortality and the unmet need for family planning is important in ensuring that the Sustainable Development Goals are achieved by 2030. A significant decline in maternal mortality ratio (MMR) in Bihar has been registered between 2014-16 and 2017-19 from 165 to 130 per one lakh live birth. The total fertility rate has also declined from 3.4 in NFHS 4 to 3.0 in NFHS 5 in Bihar. In the last two decades, many interventions ranging from facility-based to community-centric interventions to reduce the total fertility rate have been rolled out under the NHM program by the State Government. Increased usage of modern contraceptive prevalence rates from 23 percent in NFHS 4 to 44 percent in NFHS 5 is the result of concerted efforts from the state government.
To further accelerate the decline in TFR, there is a need to continue to focus on the quality of care and strengthen family planning services. In this context, it is proposed that a technical consultant be provided to the Family Planning cell at State Health Society Bihar to work closely with the Executive Director of SHSB and State Program Officer, Family Planning of NHM, and other Senior officials at the State and District level to facilitate the roll-out of the quality family planning interventions in the districts.
3. JOB DESCRIPTION/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Executive Director SHSB and State Program Officer Family Planning of UNFPA State Office, the State Family Planning Consultant shall be responsible for the following:
(1) Provide technical support in Family Planning Interventions in close coordination with the Family Planning Division, SHSB;
(2) Co-ordinate and provide technical inputs in the NHM PIP planning, implementation, and monitoring from the Family Planning perspective;
(3) Provide technical inputs in various Family planning training like Minilap, NSV, PPIUCD, and other Family Planning training in the high priority/ aspirational districts;
(4) Develop a detailed plan in terms of the post-training follow-up of the trained service providers to ensure that there is continuous feedback on the extent of the competencies of the trained service providers;
(5) Facilitate the development of Master trainers in the critical training related to Family Planning and support the FP division in the follow-up of the trained service providers;
(6) Co-ordinate with the Medical Colleges in the UNFPA priority districts for facilitating the various Family Planning training;
(7) Develop innovative approaches and guidelines for promoting the use of spacing methods among young couples;
(8) Support in the formation of a forum of development partners led by the State Health Society Bihar on FP 2030 commitments;
(9) Prepare a roadmap for the establishment of the new static centers to offer regular family planning services with high quality, focusing on increasing uptake of reversible contraceptives addressing the needs of young people and adolescents;
(10) Support in strengthening the supply chain mechanism by streamlining the FPLMIS in the state;
(11) Support implementation of services for new contraceptives when those are introduced in the concerned districts;
(12) Field visits to districts to support in rolling out the FP program and liaise with state-level officials to provide feedback to state & district officials (and ensure availability of contraceptives in designated facilities and extend necessary support;
(13) Field visits to districts and blocks to ensure operationalizing/ establishment of the static centres/ fixed day services as per the plan;
(14) Provide Mentoring and Monitoring support in close coordination with the state quality team to strengthen quality assurance systems;
(15) Co-ordinate with the development partners and International NGOs on the various family planning interventions;
(16) Facilitate the identification of the gaps and weaknesses in terms of the critical Family Planning intervention in the high priority/ aspirational districts and recommend suggestions to the Department;
(17) Provide inputs for the institutionalization of the review of family planning interventions at the State and District level;
(18) Provide critical inputs in the analysis of the family planning services-related data for stronger implementation of the family planning-related interventions;
(19) Undertake field visits to the identified districts/ aspirational districts and facilitate the adherence to the MPV and Supreme Court guidelines;
(20) Monitoring of the functioning of QACs at the state and districts to review if DQAC visits occurred as planned and if reversible methods and consent procedures were monitored & discussed;
(21) Provide inputs in promoting post-partum and post-abortion family planning in the high-priority districts;
(22) Coordinate with the UNFPA Bihar office and NHM and attend regular review meetings.
4. QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, AND COMPETENCIES:
(1) Applicant must be a Master’s in Public Health/ Health Management/ Rural Development/ Social Work/ MBA.
(1) Minimum must have at least six to eight years of predominant experience in technical aspects of Programme management;
(2) Minimum 3-5 years of experience in health management especially in adolescent health and family planning programs are mandatory;
(3) Working experience and or familiarity with the Government health system.
Skills and Competencies:
(1) Technical and Clinical Skills;
(2) Good training skills;
(3) Good skills in operating computers and MS Office packages;
(4) Creative skills and ability in planning, implementing, and monitoring programs;
(5) Ability to understand and address development-related issues;
(6) Ability to work with a diverse group and settings;
(7) Undertake travel to high-priority and Aspirational Districts.
5. NATURE OF ENGAGEMENT:
The Consultant shall be hired on a consultancy contract through Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd. (SAMS), a respected HR Agency.
6. REMUNERATION & PER DIEMS:
The gross compensation budgeted for the position is Rs. 80,000 to 90,000/- per month and will be commensurate with the salary history of candidates.
7. LOCATION: State Health Society Bihar
8. DURATION: The successful candidate shall be issued successive consultancy contracts for a period of one year by UNFPA’s third-party payrolling partner(s). The contract is extendable based on performance and program needs.
The initial contract from the date of joining till June 30, 2023, shall be issued by SAMS. The subsequent contract for the balance period shall be issued by SAMS and/or UNFPA’s successor third-party payrolling partner.
9. REFERENCE: SFPC-SHSB-UNFPA
10. CONTACT INFORMATION:
Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd.
1/1B, Choudhary Hetram House, Bharat Nagar
New Friends Colony, New Delhi 110 025
Phone Nos.: 011- 4081 9900; 4165 3612
11. APPLICATION PROCESS:
Eligible candidates interested in the position are requested to apply using the link https://recruitment.samshrm.com/Jobs/UNFPA, by or before January 10, 2023.