United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) invites applications for candidates for the post of State Maternal Health Consultant in Patna Bihar on a contract basis, interested candidates may go through the details given below.
POSITION(S) VACANT: State Maternal Health Consultant – State Health Society, UNFPA, Bihar
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), formerly the United Nations Fund for Population Activities, is a UN organization working for reproductive rights for all and supports access to a wide range of sexual and reproductive health services including voluntary family planning, maternal health care, and comprehensive sexuality education.
UNFPA is providing technical support to the State Health Society Bihar to plan and implement integrated sexual and reproductive health programs in the state. State Health Society Bihar is the part of State Health department and is the nodal agency for implementing the National Health Mission Program. State Health Society Bihar (SHSB) in collaboration with district health societies (DHS) and development partners plans and execute the RMNCH+A and national disease control programs in the state. SHSB’s key role is to provide strategic guidance and direction to the districts, develop technical guidelines, policies, and programs and monitor the implementation. SHSB also ensures quality assurance in collaboration with UN agencies and other development partners.
Achieving Zero preventable maternal deaths and zero gender-based violence are two of three transformative goals of UNFPA’s Strategic Plan. Realizing the reduction of maternal mortality and morbidity and gender-based violence is important in ensuring that the Sustainable Development Goals are achieved by 2030. A significant decline in the maternal mortality ratio (MMR) in Bihar has been registered between 2014-16 and 2017-19 from 165 to 130 per one lakh live birth. In the last two decades, many interventions ranging from facility-based to community-centric interventions to reduce maternal mortality have been rolled out under the NHM program by the State Government. The large percentage of institutional deliveries i.e. 76% according to the NFHS-5 indicates that the quality of maternal care at the facilities would contribute substantially to the reduction of maternal mortality and morbidities.
To further accelerate the decline, there is a need to continue to focus on the quality of care (LaQshya, SUMAN) and strengthen the maternal death review process. In this context, it is proposed that a technical consultant be provided to the Maternal Health cell at State Health Society Bihar to work closely with the Executive Director of SHSB and State Program Officer, Maternal Health of NHM, and other Senior officials at the State and District level to coordinate with UNFPA for providing technical assistance to SHSB for facilitating the roll-out of the quality maternal health interventions in the districts.
JOB DESCRIPTION/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Executive Director SHSB and State Program Officer Maternal Health of the UNFPA State Office, the State Maternal Health Consultant shall be responsible for the following:
(1) Provide technical support in the area of Maternal Health Interventions in close coordination with the Maternal Health Division;
(2) Co-ordinate and provide technical inputs in the NHM PIP planning, implementation, and monitoring from the Maternal health perspective;
(3) Provide technical inputs in the area of various Maternal health interventions training like EmoC, LSAS, SBA, and other Maternal health training in the high priority/aspirational districts;
(4) Develop a detailed plan in terms of the post-training follow-up of the trained service providers to ensure that there is continuous feedback on the extent of the competencies of the trained service providers;
(5) Provide technical support to strengthen, and scale up the Midwifery initiative in close coordination with the technical team, UNFPA;
(6) Facilitate the development of Master trainers in the critical training related to Maternal Health and support the MH division in the follow-up of the trained service providers;
(7) Coordinate with the Medical College in the UNFPA priority districts for facilitating various Maternal Health training;
(8) Facilitate the accreditation of the labor rooms & OTs under the LaQshya program and provide technical inputs for the rollout of the SUMAN initiative;
(9) Provide Mentoring and Monitoring support in close coordination with the state quality team to strengthen quality assurance systems;
(10) Provide critical inputs for Labour room standardization at the delivery points with priority on high-load institutions;
(11) Develop a continuous report on the functionality of the delivery points vis a vis the deployment of the skilled service providers;
(12) Co-ordinate with the development partners and International NGOs on the various Maternal health interventions;
(13) Provide technical support to interventions to address anemia, stillbirths, and perinatal mortality;
(14) Facilitate the identification of the gaps and weaknesses in terms of the critical MH interventions in the high priority/aspirational districts and recommend suggestions to the Department;
(15) Provide inputs for the institutionalization of the review of maternal health interventions at the State and District level;
(16) Provide critical inputs in the analysis of the maternal health services-related data for stronger implementation of maternal health-related interventions;
(17) Undertake a critical analysis of the Maternal Death Review in these high-priority/aspirational districts and provide recommendations and suggestions to the Department;
(18) Undertake field visits to the identified districts /aspirational districts and facilitate adherence to the LaQshya guidelines;
(19) Provide inputs in promoting post-partum family planning in the high-priority districts;
(20) Co-ordinate with UNFPA Bihar office and NHM and attend regular review meetings.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, AND COMPETENCIES:
(1) Applicant must be MBBS/ AYUSH/ Master’s in public health/ Health Management/ Rural Development/ Social Work/ MBA.
(1) Minimum 10-12 years of predominant experience in technical aspects of Programme management;
(2) Minimum 3-5 years of experience in health management especially in maternal health programs are mandatory;
(3) Working experience and or familiarity with the Government health system.
Skills and Competencies:
(1) Technical and Clinical Skills;
(2) Good training skills;
(3) Good skills in operating computers and MS Office packages;
(4) Creative skills and ability in planning, implementing, and monitoring programs;
(5) Ability to understand and address development-related issues;
(6) Ability to work with a diverse group and settings;
(7) Undertake travel to high-priority and Aspirational Districts;
NATURE OF ENGAGEMENT:
The Consultant shall be hired on a consultancy contract through Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd. (SAMS), a respected HR Agency.
REMUNERATION & PER DIEMS:
The gross compensation budgeted for the position is Rs.1,40,000 to 1,60,000/- per month and will be commensurate with the salary history of candidates.
LOCATION: State Health Society Bihar
DURATION: The successful candidate shall be issued successive consultancy contracts for a period of one year by UNFPA’s third-party payrolling partner(s). The contract is extendable based on performance and program needs.
The initial contract from the date of joining till June 30, 2023, shall be issued by SAMS. The subsequent contract for the balance period shall be issued by SAMS and/or UNFPA’s successor third-party payrolling partner.
Strategic Alliance Management Services P Ltd.
1/1B, Choudhary Hetram House, Bharat Nagar
New Friends Colony, New Delhi 110 025
Phone Nos.: 011- 4081 9900; 4165 3612
Eligible candidates interested in the position are requested to apply using the link https://recruitment.samshrm.com/Jobs/UNFPA, by or before January 10, 2023.